Bev and I are off to Gem MB Church on Sunday to celebrate Thanksgiving. There will be a thanksgiving lunch after the service so my message will be competing with the aroma permeating the sanctuary from downstairs!
My message is based on 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 where Paul exhorts us to be joyful always, pray continually, and in everything give thanks. That's a tall order! Not too many of us (read no one!) are able to live those commands out every moment of every day.
It often comes down to a choice, the choice to be grateful. We sometimes think that it is being unhappy that leads people to complain, but it is truer to say that is is complaining that leads to people becoming unhappy. Becoming grateful will make us much happier people. As we develop a habit of trusting God each day, especially when life is challenging, we will be able to give thanks.
The last few weeks have not been difficult for me to be thankful.
- I was able to celebrate another birthday and I'm thankful for my family! (I didn't celebrate in Cars Land, I just really like this family picture!)
- I was encouraged again with the volunteers that we've had over summer and the beginning of fall. Volunteers who re-arrange their schedules so they can work hard here at camp on their day off. Volunteers who drive 3 hours each way to volunteer. Volunteers who wash 493 loads of laundry between May and the end of September. (For perspective that's 493 loads of laundry and drying. By my calculations it's 41.08 days of laundry! That's why I'm thankful for Doris! :))
- I was encouraged by the large number of youth and sponsors who joined us for our Lead Retreat - 148. Add our staff and volunteers and we were very full that weekend!
- I was thankful for one of our fall guest groups writing on their evaluation - "we have found this is the best staff team we have worked with to date!" I'm thankful for an amazing staff.
- I'm thankful that Reaching Higher continues to move forward. (Let's not forget about our general fund!)
- I'm thankful when I hear stories of God continuing to work in our campers hearts and lives.
- I'm thankful for your continued support of Camp Evergreen!
What are you thankful for today?
Bob "Ranger" Kroeker
PS Today's blog is brought to you by the underline button!